Re: Firefox Has Over 23% Market Share in Europe, Up 4%

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
<linonut@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:55:30 -0600
<Oq2dneJfHN0fIRfYnZ2dnUVZ_rbinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Larry Qualig wrote:

>>> --- "Firefox Has Over 23% MARKET SHARE in Europe"
>>>
>>> But we have been told dozens of times that it is *IMPOSSIBLE* to
>>> measure "Market Share" of a free product and that "Market Share" does
>>> not exist for a free product.
>>>
>>> Looks to me like it's impossible to measure "market share" only when
>>> the results aren't favorable to Linux/FOSS. When the numbers are
>>> positive then *poooof!!!*   like magic, market share suddently exists.
>>
>> Open your eyes, Dorothy: you're in Linux la-la land.
>
> Or in bogus-statistics land.
>
> Many people like to use non-random sampling (e.g. sites geared toward a
> given demographic) or fuzzy definitions (e.g. "market share").  Or
> comparing apples to oranges.

Or using self-selected samples.

Bizarre Fact: the .pdf is a virtual reprise of the HTML
webpage; neither one explains how they came to this
conclusion.

If there is an explanation as to precisely how they came to
the conclusion that Firefox has over 23% market share, I'm
not sure where it is, especially since Firefox is freeware.
(It is possible one can do an estimate on advertising
revenue or Firefox gear sales, but that's about it.  I
rather doubt it's 33%* of $15B ($3.75B)).

[*] 25/75 = 33%; presumably Microsoft and Mozilla have
for the most part divvied up the entire Web browser pie.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false;  return h;}