Re: [News] Autodesk Sues to Keep Lockins

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 21 December 2006 10:17 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Autodesk Suing to Keep Format Closed
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "AutoCAD is by far the industry standard CAD tool for engineering
>>| drawings. When I was an engineering student it was on every computer in
>>| the college of engineering. Autodesk, the makers of the AutoCAD software,
>>| are attempting to quash an effort to reverse-engineer the proprietary
>>| binary format used by AutoCAD.
>> `----
>>
>> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/20/1348205&from=rss
>>
>> Yesterday I read about Autodesk giving free copies to student. Surely,
>> they want them to be locked in. Maybe an ODF Alliance equivalent would be
>> suitable here.
>
> I think if progress needs to be made in these sort of areas, the smart
> thing is to do the work outside the US.

Can you imagine Microsoft forbidding the use of MS-formatted docouments and
templates on Linux? This would also mean that many of the E-mails from
ignorant people would not be openable. It's lockin/punishment by
association---that which indirectly enables a monopoly to render a platform
unfit for the enterprise.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S