Re: [News] The Next Ubuntu Linux Might Gets 3-D Login Screen

  • Subject: Re: [News] The Next Ubuntu Linux Might Gets 3-D Login Screen
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:57:15 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Oliver Wong
<owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:14:33 -0500
<dBiih.131724$qD1.765840@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote
>> on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:50:50 +0000
>> <1301546.9sHQlTP8bS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> First there's this mockup:
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28313023@N00/327762113/
>>>
> [...]
>>
>> Hm.  Maybe I'm getting old but I for one fail to see the point.
>
>     Same here. And when I saw "3D", I was expecting something a bit more
> than 2D rectangles floating around in a 3D vacuum.
>
>     Might be nice if the login screen could be enhanced with applets. E.g.
> the current weather forecast, RSS feed, etc. It might work well with the
> idea of a shared computer hooked up the the HDTV in the living room: When
> nobody's logged on, it still reports useful info to everybody who cares to
> look at it.

The standard login screen of xdm appears to be an
Intrinsics-era widget.  In theory, one might modify that
widget to allow for inclusions of additional subwidgets,
one of which might be an RSS feed, another of which might
host Java applets.  (I'd be surprised if it's not derived
from Constraint already.  It already has input areas and
labels.)

As it is, I can customize the logo but that's about it. :-)

kdm and gdm are their own code bases, but for some reason
Gentoo switched back to xdm.

A slightly more useful variant might be to simply overlay
the login widget with a display-only screen that takes no
input (except to disappear, revealing the login widget).
This display-only screen could be any web page.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }