Re: Slow

__/ [citizen142] on Wednesday 01 February 2006 10:01 \__

> Pal's comp has become painfully slow. XP Pro, 256 RAM.
>
> He is running in 'fancy, pretty pictures' mode, and will not change to
> Classic mode. I ran all the usual stuff, Adaware, Spybot, Ewido etc. -
> but nothing came up. HiJackThis found a few suspicious items and I
> deleted those. Defragged the drive and shouted at it 'go faster damn
> you' - all to no avail!
>
> Any more ideas?

I suggest you pal uses an operating system that honours the available
resources and is not susceptible to such vulnerabilities, nor does it
require any such maintenance.

My favourites:

* https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

* http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/downloads/

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
 10:05pm  up 15 days 17:21,  11 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.48, 0.49