Re: A mighty challenge for Microsoft

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [Mark Kent] on Sunday 05 February 2006 08:35 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [Mark Kent] on Saturday 04 February 2006 07:29 \__

>>> Firefox is changing much of that, especially with vendors like Dell that
>>> ship Windows with Firefox as the default browser (only in the UK, as yet).
>>> I still install Firefox on merely many Windows computers that come my way.
>>> It's the least an individual can do to prevent the Net from becoming .NET.
>>>
>>> Also see: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/53126/index.html
>>
>> Firefox's flexibility is phenomenal.  Whilst I expected the extensions
>> to be interesting, I don't think I had any clue about just how many
>> different things people would find to do.  We are, once again, heading
>> to a position where the browser could really become a usable shell of
>> itself for many uses.  I'm sure google see things this way.
>

> I agree. Firefox has been far more than a Web browser to me (arbitrary
> example at  http://schestowitz.com/temp/chembuddy_xmas.jpg ) and I continue
> to extend it further, all for practical reasons, not for flash. Almost a
> dozen plug-ins are used at the moment and my profile directory contains all
> that I ever need (including passwords, cookies and history). I can run
> Firefox via SSH from virtually anywhere. Duplicating its complete state and
> putting it on another machine is a drag-and-drop job, which is
> platform-independent.
>
> Peer-to-peer is coming to Firefox too.

I've been trying different extensions, like the dictionary one, the
document tree viewer (good for messy sites), the speedup one, the proxy
manager (great for moving between networks), as well as my favourite -
the tabbrowser extensions, and several others too.

>>> Very true. Let us not forget Outlook's (Express) inclination to refer its
>>> users to Hotmail (MSN).
>>
>> The advantages conveyed by Microsoft's desktop monopoly are difficult to
>> fully quantify, but it's clear that the only competition which has been
>> effective has been free software, which avoids the barriers to
>> marketplace entry by making a technical change which shifts the market
>> in an unexpected direction.
>

> Awareness has become as important as (if not more than) the costlessness.
> More Joes are beginning to distinguish between an application/package and
> its underlying formats. More Joes finally understand the power of choice and
> come to realise that products from the (un)trusted monoloy (a "Big Brother")
> is not the holy grail of all.

It's also interesting how many sites now support Firefox  and Firefox on
Linux that a couple of years ago were IE/MS Windows only.  Just done
some internet shopping on Sainsbury and on Waitrose (Ocado) - both were
just fine.

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
		-- Alfred E. Newman