Re: Google Analytics - still dead

__/ [Sam] on Monday 06 February 2006 11:13 \__

> It seems like they are never going to change the current algo which has
> lasted longer then any algo I can think of since the end of august. Nor
> have the updated backlinks or pagerank. But I have been reading some
> articles saying that Google is working behind the scenes on a brand new
> search engine that will no longer use algorythms or have pagerank.
> They're supposed to unleash this on us soon as they get it done. I have
> noticed that there are some new datacenters that nobody knows the server
> address's to yet. I don't know about you but right now I'd love it if
> the algo changed as I hate this algo for the normal obvious reasons.

How does that relate to Google Analytics, which Bill has complained about for
being service in hibernation? I guess the one-word body did not make
anything clear and it lacked context (apart from insinuation in the subject
line).

Since you brought this up, let's not forget Google's dark fibre (
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20051117.html )

"We're talking about 5000 Opteron processors and 3.5 petabytes of disk
storage that can be dropped-off overnight by a tractor-trailer rig. The idea
is to plant one of these puppies anywhere Google owns access to fiber,
basically turning the entire Internet into a giant processing and storage
grid."

It no longer seems like a conspiracy theorists' haven. Contacts with ISP's
and large companies (
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700AP_Wi_Fi_Network.html ), for
example, as well rumours about Internet of their own (
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2023600,00.html?findsarahconnor
) make people talk. About a year ago, the idea of submitting Web sites
directly to Google still seemed laughable.

By the way, a word came out this morning to say that Google Maps in the UK
were further refined. It's not truly associated with search, but there is
now plane footage in Google Maps, which makes 'satellite' footage even
crisper and I could even spot tiny people on the ground in Manchester.
Google is watching. Has anyone seen the 3-D rendering of buildings in Google
Earth yet?