Re: Linux for children (4.5 year old)

__/ [Ignoramus19736] on Monday 06 February 2006 19:24 \__

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:45:36 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [Ignoramus19736] on Monday 06 February 2006 17:04 \__
>>
>>> I have a 4.5 year old who is able to type somewhat OK. I have a old
>>> 700 Mhz PC that we set up as "his computer". It is firewalled using my
>>> main linux box to do address translation.
>>>
>>> <snip />

>> (Ed)Ubuntu would be my suggestion. Kubuntu might be a little too much to
>> handle and rather unnecessarily so. KDE in general doesn't seem most
>> suitable, yet it probably *could* be made less of a handful.
>>
>> You can have a look at some fresh Edubuntu screencasts at:
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=linux+tutorial
>>
>> Ubuntu contains all of the things you require and its learning curve
>> (which might also be required from you) is minute. Once in the past I
>> heard about Ubuntu used successfully with children, which is why I
>> recommend it.
>
> Roy, I decided to go with edubuntu. I am downloading it.

Nice one!

As a side note, don't forget to employ that machine and exploit its capacity.
Have it serve another useful purpose like mirroring your hard-drive
automatically for backup purposes.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
  7:25pm  up 20 days 14:41,  11 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.59, 0.48