Re: Alexa.com summarizing website traffic

  • Subject: Re: Alexa.com summarizing website traffic
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:04:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [davidof] on Tuesday 07 February 2006 09:55 \__

> Paul B wrote:
>> On 6 Feb 2006 13:02:04 -0800, "Chumley Walrus" <springb2k@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>How accurate, or credible is alexa.com summarizing website traffic for
>>>a given URL.
>>>
>>>thx
>>>chumley
>>

>> IMO, very inaccurare, and the results can be fudged.
>
> I'm sure mathematicians can work this out but I had one site that had
> 5,000 page views per day last year and was around 300,000 in Alexa. I
> installed the Alexa toolbar on my browser and visited the site once per
> day and it went into the top 100,000. That would imply to me that the
> few people have the toolbar installed.

Based on all the numbers that I see in my status bar, my very rough guess has
been (for quite a while) that around 100,000 people have the A9 and/or the
Alexa toolbar installed and set to 'history enabled'. A similar estimate for
Netscraft...

I wonder if a Web search could reveal the answer. They must perceive it as a
very precious secret. It could shatter the value of their figures, which are
grossly 'massaged'.

Roy S. Schestowitz
 10:00am  up 21 days  5:16,  11 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.50, 0.40