Windows Vulnerability Makes Users Susceptible to Hijacking

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6036476.html?part=rss&tag=6036476&subj=news

___
Published: February 7, 2006, 8:50 PM PST

"Microsoft on Tuesday warned of two security issues that could put some
Windows users at risk of attack and said it is investigating a third
possible vulnerability."

[...]

"One security problem is reminiscent of the recent high-profile security woes
that affected Windows. It is related to how aging versions of Internet
Explorer handle malformed Windows Meta File images on the Windows Millennium
Edition and Windows 2000 operating systems."

[...]

"'An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take
complete control of the affected system,' Microsoft said in its advisory."
___

Yesterday afternoon a large-scale zombie attack commenced on my site.
Fortunately, the zombies were wrongly aimed at the wrong URL (an
uppercase-lowercase typo), but I could see a different IP address in my
error logs every minute. I wonder if it's related to the above. If it were
not for the typo, each attacker would have triggered thousands of SQL
queries per visit.