Re: Beauty is only skin deep

__/ [Jim Richardson] on Sunday 12 February 2006 08:07 \__

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 06:36:25 +0000,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Also in KDE: alias open='kfmclient exec'. 'open' now opens a file from
>> the command-line using its default interpreter. Just one example among
>> many, that one....
>>

> Congratulations, you just conflated open and execute, just like MS
> does...

Only if it is set to be runnable. Associations do nothing here which
double-clicking the icon would not achieve...

By the way, I believe that OSX has a similar mechanism already built into the
command-line. I have never used 'open', yet. It's unpredictable, but it
remains among the default aliases.