Re: How much space needed for Red Hat Linux?

  • Subject: Re: How much space needed for Red Hat Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 06:31:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [Jeff Gaines] on Friday 10 February 2006 22:50 \__

> On 10/02/2006 a2z wrote:
>
>> I know I could do a Google but am too tired tonight. Would some kind
>> soul tell me how much hard drive space Red Hat Linux needs? I have
>> been asked to install it on a 2Gb drive (1.9Gb formatted) and suspect
>> that might be a bit tight. No experience with Linux so I'm a newbie.
>
> I just installed Debian, including source, and it was 1.9GB out of the
> box (including X).
> You could certainly cut that down - you'll need some swap space as well.

Red Hat was about 3 CD's and should occupy around 2 GB, I suspect, by
default. Make sure you axe a few packages before you install it and you'll
have plenty of room available. There are other, 'smaller Linuxes' in the
wild, but they are probably no Red Hat in terms of community and
reliability. Vector Linux and Damn Small Linux (?) come to mind.

Hope it helps,