Re: Archlinux

__/ [becco] on Sunday 12 February 2006 17:54 \__

> Been trying out this distro for a couple of weeks now, and I can say it is
> absolutely awesome. It picked up all my hardware automagically and the
> pacman package manager is the easiest one I've used. It is almost as
> powerful as portage but much faster since it doesn't compile from source.
>
> I've used Gentoo for a long time now, but I'm seriously considering
> switching.
>
> Anyone interested in a distro with a *powerful* package manager but isn't
> interested in Gentoo's uber-optimization should definetly try Archlinux!
>
> Cheers
> Marcello

You should account for Synaptic and YaSY package management as well. With
Ubuntu it has become even simpler than apt-get install. With SuSE, it's a
simple game with buttons like OK, Next, and Finish. Even Mandriva makes
things as simple as double-clicking RPM files. Package management and
dependency hell in Linux are a thing of the past. Yet, that's not what
anti-Linux activists will have you told...