Re: web page screen capture utility?

  • Subject: Re: web page screen capture utility?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 04:37:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [Cybe R. Wizard] on Monday 13 February 2006 01:24 \__

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:58:45 GMT
> ken <ken@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> are there any command line utilities that would let me get a screen
>> capture of a web page?  ultimately i want to build an archive of web
>> page snapshots and i'm looking to build a script that would automate
>> this.

You can use 'import' to grab a shot of a particular window given its
identifier.

man import

KSnapshot, which is mentioned below, is far less flexible. It is not
highly-expressive and not scriptable either..

>> so far the only thing i can think of is to have a firefox window
>> open, then do a firefox -remote URL command to load the page i want
>> into firefox and then use xwd to capture the firefox window to an
>> image. [although i'm still not sure how to get the firefox window
>> resource ID so that i can grab it with xwd]  however this is still
>> fairly problematic because i won't know if, or when, the page has
>> finished loading.

Give it enough time to load. Unless the screenshot is critical, this would
often be fine. Maybe you can probe Firefox for its loading state, though
it's more likely to be trivially achievable with Konqueror.

>> is there a better utility for doing something like this?
>> really appreciate any help.
>> thanks,
>> ken
>
> "KSnapshot is a simple applet for taking screenshots. It is capable of
> capturing images of either the whole desktop or just a single window.
> The images can then be saved in a variety of formats."
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I think I ought to mention http://browsershots.org , which does exactly what
you describe not only under Linux, but also in Mac OSX and Windows. It might
be worth asking the Webmaster for that code which he runs under Debian.

Hope it helps,