Re: What's in a (domain) name...

  • Subject: Re: What's in a (domain) name...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 06:52:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Who Turned Off The Lights?] on Monday 13 February 2006 06:03 \__

> John Bokma wrote:
>> Today I checked out a portfolio by a guy who's a programmer, and
>> noticed a link to a site he did, then I noticed the domain name...
>>
>> http://www.cyclitness.com/
>>
>> Ok, it sound like fun, glueing two words together to make up a new
>> one, but uhm... some people shouldn't do this...

I would never be inclined to criticise that domain name choice. I thought
that del.icio.us was quite a funky name. I think such choices make a
particular term very memorable, unique, and easy to track(back).

If you ever want to isolate your identity and find back-citations, this is an
excellent tactic. As my surname is extremely rare, merely any search results
relates to me or my site, which isolates 'noise' and can be quite useful. I
can use Technorati to track that term of even syndicate MSN and Google