Re: From Microsoft back to Linux

> __/ [George Ellison] on Tuesday 14 February 2006 03:42 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Gentoo founder resigns Microsoft.
>>>
>>> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Gentoo_founder_resigns_Microsoft.
>>>
>>> Can you hear that chair flying?
>>
>> Story looks to be about a month old. Wonder if the Gentoo community is
>> going to welcome him back with open fists?
>
> They'll be sympathetic, I imagine. I mean, c'mon, this guy has just been hit
> by a chair...
>
> I think his choice, knowing he would /not/ be welcome with open /arms/, comes
> to show his view on the prospects of Microsoft. He saw everything from the
> /inside/. HP's top exec left to join Penguin Computing as well, which
> probably means something.

Here's another link:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Robbins_(Gentoo_Linux_founder)

And the birth of gentoo:

   http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/making-the-distro-p1.xml

   "Linux offered something I had never seen before. If I had to put
   that magical something into words, I'd call it potential: the
   potential to change, to improve, to fix things, and yes, even to
   break things. As I upgraded to new kernel versions I saw Linux
   improve before my eyes and transform itself almost daily. And I was
   along for the ride! I was a part of the transformation. It was fun."

But this article about gentoo also may contain hints about why he didn't
(apparently) get along well at Microsoft, the Land of 10,000 Tornadoes.

--
Q:  Why does a GNU/Linux user compile his kernel?
A:  Because he can.