Extending Bandwidth Limit on Shared Host

Is it common for a Web host to permit and accommodate extra bandwidth for an
additional cost? I am aware that one's individual host would be the best
point-of-contact for such a question, but it puts the client in an
inconvenient situation. The host has an financial incentives having clients
turn to dedicated hosting, I'm guessing. Will exceptional (beyond advertised
plans) shared hosting be acceptable? I know that extra storage space can be
paid for annually, but when is the client forced to migrate...

Thanks for any insights,