Re: Linux (Open)Office Integration and Xgl

  • Subject: Re: Linux (Open)Office Integration and Xgl
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Feb 2006 12:49:05 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John Bailo wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1166759,00.html
> >
> > Linux Desktop 10 to offer better MS Office, OpenOffice integration
>

> Can someone give us the lowdown on Novell "Linux Desktop 10"?
>
> Is that a paid product?

Kinda - it's $25 to purchase an official CD.

> Or part of OpenSuse?

It's a customized version of SuSE that includes office/productivity
tools.

> Or what?

It appears to be a specialized version of SuSE Linux that targets the
workplace. Most workplaces don't need TuxRacer or Kaffeine or Xine or
K3b. It looks like this version removes these apps and focuses more on
the apps that buisiness people use... Word Processors, Spreadsheets,
etc.

It's also preconfigured out of the box to let Admins set restrictions
and security policies on the "Linux Desktop" systems along with the
tools that do that. It also has better integration with LDAP, Active
Directory and other environments that are likely to already be in
place.