Re: alternative to tables

__/ [Del] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:49 \__

>> __/ [David Cleland] on Monday 13 February 2006 18:36 \__
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I am coming from a "tables manage layout" background - I have noticed
>>> sites
>>> that are using css to manage layout -can anyone recommend a web guide on
>>> how to do this ? I have Macromedia studio so have all the tools.... just
>>> not the know how.
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> For standards-based Web design, this WYSIWYG paradigm might not be most
>> suitable. Bloatware can usually handle stylesheets, but its page previews
>> are then unhelpful and the whole paradigm is susceptible to questioning.
>>
>> I suggest you look at books from some of the authorities in the field,
>> e.g.
>> Eric Meyer, David Shea, and Jeff Zeldman. You need only ascribe meaningful
>> semantic structure to pertinent elements by altering the existing markup
>> and
>> 'cleaning up'. You can then control layour from peripheral CSS files. If
>> you
>> ever want your sites to evolve smoothly and fit PDA's, for example, it is
>> the only way to go.
>>

> But does anybody here have a reccomendable url as opposed to a book?
> I am in the exact same situation as David.

I personally believe that practical examples, which one can inherit and
interact with, are better. CSSZenGarden gives a fundamental model of a page
and then binds to it a variety of stylesheets, from which one can learn
(e.g. by viewing the source).

Another decent proportion of Web developers, however, prefer books, which in
some sense is the reverse approach: learn, then create (as opposed to "look
what was created and learn from it").

__/ [Philip Herlihy] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 15:49 \__

> Try these:
>
> http://glish.com/css/
> http://www.inknoise.com/experimental/layoutomatic.php
> http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html
> http://www.mako4css.com/Tutorial.htm
> http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/articles/webrev/199802b.html
> http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
>
> I've found CSS hard to get right - I now develop for Firefox and then
> adjust to get round IE6's numerous bugs.
> See:
> http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles.html

I'll just add:

http://csszengarden.com/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

The latter is not necessarily good (in fact, many would criticise both
URL's), but that's where I looked several years ago.