kswapd appears to kill KDE

I am in desparate need of help here. I truly am. I will try to give a
detailed yet succinct description of the problem:

-I am running SuSE 8.1 (it's an older yet most vital important machine),
using KDE
-I was doing nothing out of the ordinary (Web browsing) when suddenly memory
use jumped up to 100% and all went wrong (everything froze)
-I restarted the machine, struggled to get into KDE again and behaviour was
erratic (inconsistent logon patterns, getting stuck at different stages).
-Sometimes, I could log into KDE, but after a short time (seconds), memory
use shot up to 100%
-Going to tty1 and logging in as root I can confirm that:
   * all partitions have free space
   * kdeinit kswapd and consume a lot of the CPU (if not all), and probably
memory too, as soon as tty7 hangs

-I tried rebooting without network dependencies, but KDE fails to load or
loads up just fine and than hangs
-I can reach the login screen just fine and SSH with X-forwarding from the
outside.

Any ideas or suggestions other than an upgrade? Could it be a
hard-drive-related issue? I am backing up everything at this very moment.

Many thanks in advance