Re: Linux "on the cusp of a significant adoption wave"

  • Subject: Re: Linux "on the cusp of a significant adoption wave"
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 Feb 2006 10:43:50 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Novell's New CTO Says Linux Desktop Is Ripe for Adoption
>
> "Novell's new CTO Jeff Jaffe is very bullish on the outlook for the Linux
> desktop going forward, saying he believes it is on the cusp of a significant
> adoption wave."

Possibly... but Novell's new CTO certainly has a dog in this fight and
being "new" it is his job to be gung-ho about the future.

My opinion is that Vista is going to make-or-break Microsoft. Most
companies and many users have heard of Linux by now and they know it's
out there and the advantages. But these same companies have a huge
financial and personel investment in Windows.

I think that companies are willing to wait until Vista ships and this
will effectively be the last chance for MS. Most companies are getting
sick and tired of the virus-de-jour and undoubtedly several IT managers
from large MS accounts have told Microsoft that they need to get their
(security) act together and get it together fast.

Vista will be that last chance. If it turns out that Vista is secure
then I don't see any significant change on the typical desktop. That is
a big *IF* because if Vista doesn't provide a *significant* improvement
in its vulnerability to malware then I think that Jeff Jaffe will most
likely be right.