Re: Largest Windows Error Message

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 21 February 2006 19:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:51:04 +0000
> <dtfk0t$1q6u$3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/4630
>>
>> Behold the shame.
>
> Remember when "bad press was better than no press at all"?  :-)
>
> I'm not so sure of that anymore...
>
> I like the phrasing:
>
>    "Video and text output has encountered a problem and needs to close.
>    We are sorry for the inconvenience."
>
> Since when is 'video and text output' a program name such as Explorer?
> Bizarre linguistics; they could have at least put it in quotes or
> something, or called it a service:
>
>    "The video and text output service has encountered ..."
>
> But never mind that; this is from the OS that gives wonderful
> diagnostics messages such as:
>
>    C:\> cd c:\blahblah\duh
>    The system cannot find the path specified.
>    (this is OK but makes the system look a tad incompetent)
>
>    C:\> cd c:\blahblah\feh
>    The directory name is invalid.
>    (this is because '\blahblah\feh' is actually a file!  Maybe
>    if the filename had an actual *space* in it, it might be invalid,
>    but 'feh' is a perfectly valid name...were it not used for
>    something else.)
>
>    C:\> rmdir c:\blahblah\feh
>    The directory name is invalid.
>    (well at least it's consistent)
>
>    C:\> mkdir c:\blahblah\feh
>    A subdirectory or file feh already exists.
>    (What, you can't tell the diff?)
>
>    C:\> type nul > c:\blahblah
>    Access is denied.
>    (Nice self-protection but a little ambiguous.)
>
>    C:\> cd nul
>    The parameter is incorrect.
>    (Oh, this one's a mysterious one!  See also PRN, AUX, and a
>    few other "magic file names".)
>
>    C:\> cd nul.txt
>    The parameter is incorrect.
>    (Just as mysterious.)
>
>    C:\> del c:\blahblah
>    c:\blahblah\*, Are you sure (Y,N)?
>    (I'm never sure about this sort of thing.  Will it erase
>    files such as erm.txt, which usually requires a *.* wildcard,
>    at least on older DOS/Windows versions?)
>
>    C:\> rename c:\blahblah c:\douy
>    The syntax of the command is incorrect.
>    (Syntax error?  *WHAT* syntax error?!?)
>
>    C:\> move c:\blahblah c:\feh
>    1 file(s) moved.
>    (But it was a directory....!?)
>
>    C:\> feh
>    'feh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>    operable program or batch file.
>    (What's an 'operable program'?)
>
>    C:\> c:\blahblah
>    'c:\blahblah' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>    operable program or batch file.
>    (It's a directory, so fair enough here.)
>
>    C:\> c:\blahblah\feh
>    'c:\blahblah\feh' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>    operable program or batch file.
> [...]

Nice test run. It was nice to get a reminder of how MS-DOS responds to
errorenous commands. Here is one from the GUI front:

http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2006/2/8/1751817.html

A rant that come from a Micro$hafter, by the way.