Re: RSS

  • Subject: Re: RSS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:39:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.net.web.authoring
__/ [ Andy Dingley ] on Monday 20 February 2006 15:04 \__

> David Cleland wrote:
>> I am new to RSS but I have a feed on www.wallacehighrugby.org

Excellent. Welcome to the next generation of Web exploration. *smile*

> You have two feeds, both slightly broken. The "RSS 2.0" feed looks like
> RSS 0.91 and the "Atom" feed is a dubious looking Atom 0.3 format.
>
> Change these to Atom 1.0 and if you must use RSS 2.0, then do real RSS
> 2.0   (I know there's an argument that "all 0.91 feeds are valid 2.0",
> but that's a bogosity)

Invalidity is sometimes tolerated, but I agree one must not rely on it. The
same arguments apply to Web page design.

>> wondering if there was a way of displaying just the first article on
>> another site - www.wallacehigh.org - basically all I want is The headline
>> so I can have:
>
> This is exactly the same problem as taking any external RSS feed and
> rendering it into HTML for inclusion on a site. It needs some
> server-side code, probably involving downloading a PHP snippet (or
> whatever your server likes to run) then writing some _trivial_ XSLT to
> extract the content and link that you want.

See the following popular tool:

http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/

> It's not a particularly easy script for a beginner to write - although
> there's an "obvious" way to do it, it's also much improved if written
> carefully so that it's robust against network glitches that make the
> feed temporarily accessible and should also do some caching so that it
> doesn't hammer your server on serving every page.

Yes, indeed.

> You could write it yourself  from scratch (nice little PHP learning
> exercise), but don't expect "version 1.0" to be production grade code,
> it's trickier than it might appear.

...Better re-use something robust and popular. It also continues to be
extended so it accommodates newer versions of RSS (soon to become a formal
standard?).

> If you control both servers then there might even be back-door tricks
> you can play with shared files, but that's not really an RSS problem
> any more.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  6:35am  up 4 days 18:54,  10 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.92, 0.74