Re: Dissatisfied Customer's Message to Bill Gates:

__/ [victimizedbyms@xxxxxxxxx] on Monday 20 February 2006 18:26 \__

> Dissatisfied Customer's Message to Bill Gates:
> Ineffectual, rude, and insulting tech support will send MS customers
> to competitors!

Where does your essay explicitly say that? I guess the "take it or leave it"
bit is a subtle implication.

> [...]
> outsourcing. With all due respect, to provide rude and ineffective
> technical support, as I have just experienced, not only adds insult to
> injury; it provides motivation to buy anything but a Microsoft
> product!
>
> As a result of a defective Windows XP Professional operating system
> that MS has been unable to repair so far and a never kept call-back
> appointment by a technician, I got a call from Microsoft where a man
> who identified himself as Douglas Mullen, Manager of Microsoft in Nova
> Scotia, was rude, obnoxious and insulting. He refused to let me speak
> to his supervisor and even made a disparaging remark concerning the
> Pope before he hung up on me!
>
> I am having multiple problems with Windows XP Professional retail
> version that I recently installed on a new hard drive. The worst is
> that my MICROSOFT optical mouse (and other types of mice) freezes up
> the os. After spending hours on the phone dealing with a
> difficult-to-understand accent and poor telephone connection and with
> a technician from India who apparently did not have either the
> knowledge or ability to resolve the problems, I reluctantly
> rescheduled an appointment with Microsoft for yesterday, 2/19/06 at
> 2PM eastern US time. I never received the call, nor did I get any
> email - even one saying that the tech was unable to call, unable to
> get through to me or had to reschedule.
>
> Instead I was woken up by Microsoft today on Sunday. When I asked to
> speak to a supervisor, I got Mr. Mullen, who insisted that I had been
> called back yesterday and an email had been sent to me saying that the
> person could not get through. He got very rude, obnoxious and
> insulting when I insisted that both my wife and I were here at the
> scheduled time, I have call waiting with caller ID, voicemail when the
> two lines are busy and I never receive any email from MS yesterday or
> so far today.
>
> Mr. Mullen refused to address the fact that I was not called back
> yesterday and did not receive any emails from MS.  He would not let me
> speak to his supervisor. He did not answer my questions about who was
> in charge in his office or country. He said "Yes I am rude but I am
> the only one you will speak to" and "I do not care if you write the
> Pope." He insisted that I had a "one-time only offer" to get a call
> back "take it or leave it!." Although I answered that I did want it,
> he only offered it on a day when I would not be here and rudely hung
> up on me with out making an appointment.
>
> It is bad enough that Windows XP professional has many problems, that
> Microsoft takes away jobs from qualified Americans. But to provide
> rude and ineffective technical support with "a take-it or-lave-it"
> attitude not only adds insult to injury; it provides motivation to buy
> anything but a Microsoft product! Are you listening Mr. Bill Gates or
> is the only way you will get the message is when MS loses substantial

It must be yet another case of Microsoft vanity. But you see, the guy whom
you initially spoke to, who probably resides overseas, was not worth
complaining about. As long as the English is comprehensible, I see no reason
to complain. This is also irrelevant to your problem and depletes from
arguments in the open open letter, if anything.

Having said that, The other guy on the phone (Mr. Mullen), whom I assume you
spoke to (judging by the message headers it is unlikely to be pink meat),
comes to show the dangers of a monopoly or monoculture. There is no
motivation to earn or keep customers, let alone have any respect for them.

As somebody who supports Windows users as well, I often find myself directing
people to Microsoft for their trouble. If the attitude towards Linux users
is "they know what they are doing and can support themselves", I shall
embrace the same attitude when an inexcusable deficiency or error arises in
Windows. Guess what? Some of the well-educated people can sympathise and
sooner or later realise the flaws in their O/S (installation of software and
hardware included) is not something they should blindly accept. There /are/
alternatives.