Re: Windwoes

  • Subject: Re: Windwoes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 03:17:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [GreyCloud] on Monday 20 February 2006 18:02 \__

> Edwin wrote:
>
>> I had some Windwoes the last few days...
>>
>> First I was finding my Firewall turned off no matter how many times I
>> checked it and turned it back on.   I suspected the Norton Security
>> Center because it kept asking me if I wanted the Firewall on or not. I
>> always told it to leave the Firewall on, yet I would find the Firewall
>> off.  I uninstalled Norton and installed Avast AV... so far the Firewall
>> has stayed on... yet another reason for me not to trust anything with
>> Norton's name on it...

I has bad experiences with at least one client that ran Norton's security
suite (whatever it was called). It was blocking perfectly valid channels of
communication and caused a lot of trouble. I think we ended up wiping it off
the O/S, which is a shame as it was a pricey piece of SHIofTware.

>> Then while starting up the game "Total Annihilation" I got an out of
>> memory dialog... for a Win95 game on a PC with 1 GB of RAM and 250 GB of
>> HD....grrr...
>>
>> ...later Windows locked up solid while trying to play an audio CD... I
>> had to use the power switch to reset the system!

Windows: "reset" and "power" are your friends.

>> This is a brand new HP dual core AMD box, with Windows XP Media Edition,
>> and it was working fine up until Sunday.    A reset seems to have
>> cleared away the problems, but somehow I can't help feeling I shouldn't
>> have had them in the first place...
>
> I hear ya.  It is really hard to tell if at this stage whether you have
> a bit of bad hardware, like memory, or that windows just doesn't marry
> well with the drivers.  Hang on to the dual core AMD, as a lot of the
> Linux distros will take advantage of the 64-bit extensions that XP won't.
> Like the 16 general purpose registers, etc.  You should notice some
> improvements with speed using Linux.

I recently installed Linux for a friend with a 64-bit processor. He was using
Windows XP beforehand and wanted to ditch it, if possible. We initially went
for Ubuntu (it has a 64-bit version), but he wound up totally impressed by
the 64-bit version of Mandriva 2006. Like Grey said, this machine will
utilise its full capacity once it is powered by the Penguin.

> What I'm puzzled about is how the linux distros are able to probe your
> LAN and your ISP to get settings.  Maybe someone can give out the
> details on that.

Major distributions should try DHCP by default to obtain addresses and
settings based on your MAC address (independent of the O/S). If this does
not work, hardcode the addresses, which the ISP should gladly give you. If
you have difficulties, post them here or in the more technical newsgroup.
Somebody will sort it out for you.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
  3:05am  up 3 days 15:24,  7 users,  load average: 0.97, 0.74, 0.73