Re: Palm Lifedrive (buy something else!!)

__/ [ KevinX ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 00:21 \__

> "Laurent Bugnion" <lbugnion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi Roy,
>>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> > [partially sarcastic]
>> >
>> > I recently saw a client with a LifeDrive. I still use a Tungsten T
> myself. I
>> > was impressed with the hardware of the LD, the display, and some of the
>> > features of the newer operating system (Gawd have mercy on its soul;
> RIP).
>> > Yet, I was somewhat shocked by the speed (or lack thereof).
>> >
>> > I can vividly recall the client, who needed me to sort out his wireless
>> > access, powering up his handheld. At first I asked him if the loading
>> > duration was normal. I suspected it reached a halt. It seemed like an
>> > eternity (admittedly this can be circumvented). This was not the type of
>> > gadget I would prefer to pull out of my pocket just to jot down on,
> possibly
>> > using a couple of strokes.
>> >
>> > Then comes the issue of size (let alone power consumption). Although I
> saw
>> > the LifeDrive at the shops beforehand, I was initially convinced that
> the
>> > client was holding a notoriously heavy iPaq 'relative'. When I got
> closer, I
>> > realised it was a Palm, which better suited the name "Fist", or "Foot".
>> >
>> > [/partially sarcastic]

>> > It is nice to know that. On the other hand, Palm ought to have released
> an
>> > acceptable model without requiring the clients to read up some tips and
>> > intervene.
>> >
>> > Best wishes,
>> >
>> > Roy
>>
>> My LifeDrive runs great and is fast. When I combine it with the
>> universal wireless keyboard, it is a great replacement for my laptop,
>> except maybe for programming (Visual Studio .NET for Palm isn't out yet,
>> I think ;-)

I am convinced that there are other computer-related activities that keep you
occupied while outside work. Maybe Visual Studio .NET will be available when
Palm move to the Linux kernel. *gasp*

Contextually related: http://www.devsource.com/article2/0,1895,1911603,00.asp

   [ Mainsoft, IBM Port .Net Apps to Linux, J2EE ]

>> Yes, it's true, it needs some tuning. I'd say that Palm ought to sell it
>> to technically versed people only, but of course we are not such a big
>> market.

I don't fully agree here [/with respect/]. I have not downloaded Palm
programs Palm in about 3 years, even when I thought I could benefit from
some (most latterly pssh). In fact, I do on my Tungsten the same stuff I
used to on the M130, if not _less_. There is a reason for this reluctance to
take advantage of Bluetooth, Web surfing and modern applications. It is the
time, learning, and adaptability required. I made this investment many years
ago when I moved to Linux, but the scenario was different owing to lock-ins
and self-centred Web services.

The bottom line: the last thing I want is to buy a model in the shop, which
in turns requires extra labour. It can either come bloated with software or
as a stripped-down base for the user to strap some poison
(plug-ins/applications) on. As it stands, the LD fails to do something very
fundamental: reboot acceptably quickly.

>> It's a shame, though, that when people have a device that doesn't work,
>> they don't want spend time making it work better. It's even more a shame
>> nowadays (as compared to only 5 or 10 years ago), when every information
>> you need about pretty much any device is available online, without
>> having to lift one's ass out of the couch ;-) I guess it's part of the
>> "If it's broken, don't mend it, just throw it away" mentality that
>> governs todays (occidental) world...
>>
>> Anyway.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Laurent

It's a spoiled generation, no doubt.

> Laurent.
>
> Forgive me. You really *DO* miss the point..
>
> To quote you, once again:-
> "It's a shame, though, that when people have a device that doesn't work,
> they don't want spend time making it work better"
>
> Out of the box it SHOULD work better (than an "inferior" earlier model).
>
> A year down the line, then yes, maybe it could do with a little tweaking,
> and searching to "update" it. But NOT "out of the box", yet you seem to
> think this correct??
>
> Thanks for your interesting comments though.

Kevin seems to concur with my opinion on the matter.

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:55am  up 5 days 17:14,  8 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.61, 0.63