Re: AJAX Patent Granted

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:29:12 -0600, Justin Koivisto wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 08:25 \__

>>> Oh great one! Impart upon us some wisdom and tell us what it all means?
>>
>> See the following:
>>
>> http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/22/us-grants-patent-for-ajax/
>>
>> <quote>
>> The patent?issued on Valentine?s Day?covers all rich-media technology
>> implementations, including Flash, Flex, Java, Ajax, and XAML, when the
>> rich-media application is accessed on any device over the Internet,
>> according to the patent holders.
>>
>> A patent has been granted to a relatively unknown California Web-design firm
>> for an invention its creator says covers the design and creation of most
>> rich-media applications used over the Internet. The patent holder, Balthaser
>> Online Inc., says it could license nearly any rich-media Internet
>> application across a broad range of devices and networks.
>> </quote>
>
> There are a few submitted comments in that article that hint that the
> article may have misinterpreted the actual patent. Also, that site has
> posted incorrect articles before, so until I see a more authoritative
> article, I'm not going to worry about it. ;)

A search on the company's name in Google News brings up a mere 3 articles.
So I wonder as well.

Yet, in one of the articles that came up is the following:
<quote>
"Neil Balthaser, a former VP of strategy for Macromedia, the developer of
the Flash rich-media development environment and player, now owned by
Adobe, says he will most likely sell the patent rather than enforce it
himself. He says he's discussing the sale of the patent to "top-tier
players. I don't want to name them but they're fairly obvious, the guys who
are investing a lot of money in this rich Internet applications field. They
got a lot invested, or they're going to be investing a lot. Anyone of those
companies would definitely benefit by controlling a patent like this, both
defensively and potentially offensively, and the ability to sublicense it,
and make some return on their investment." "
</quote>