Re: Grep

  • Subject: Re: Grep
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:58:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
__/ [ Ken Parkes ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 21:49 \__

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:03:42 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
>
>> I demand that Ken Parkes may or may not have written...
>>
>>> Have been searching for an old sent email.  If I enter, in a terminal,
>>> <grep Gamblesby /mnt/backup/username/.Mail> I get no response from the
>>> instruction.    If I open Tools>Find File in Konqueror,  and enter the
>>> same request I get the sent mail file containing Gamblesby in the message
>>> within
>>> 15 seconds.  What am I doing wrong with grep please?   I thought Find
>>> File was just a front end for grep.
>>
>> -R, -r, --recursive, --directories=recurse. Take your pick...
>
> Many thanks Darren.    O'Reilly Linux in a nutshell was no help, said -R
> was to preprocess with refer.  Your post made me check again.  I had
> turned two pages,  from grep -d  to groff -f.   Quietly goes into a corner
> and bangs head against wall.
>
> Ken.

For simplicity, it is often worth using the facilities provided the mail
program to do full body search. Good applications will build good indices or
hash tables to make subsequent searches faster. The advantage of this
approach is that you get the message in question well-encapsulated and among
context. Failing that, I choose to use fgrep -R * in the appropriate
directory.

Kind regards,