Re: graphical login fails on suse 10.0

__/ [ David Wright ] on Friday 24 February 2006 11:53 \__

> ubartsch wrote:
>
>> sorry,
>> the graphical login shows up, with all users and i can hack in my
>> password
>> but kde just wont start, after a sec the login screen shows up again,
>> without error msg whatsoever!

Check /var/log/messages . You will need to log in as root, I suspect. Scroll
down to the bottom and see what it happening when you log in. If this is
related to X, see /var/log/XFree86.0.log .

> Probably one of the apps which gets automatically started or one of the
> core
> components is crashing on start-up. Can you log in with another user?  Can
> you log into Windowmaker, Gnome or similar?
>
> Check the system logs to see what is failing to start. That should give
> some indication of where the problem lies.
>
> Quick and dirty solutions are:
>
> If you can log into KDE with another user, I would think some setting in
> the
> ~/.kde directory is corrupted or causing problems.  The easiest way would
> be to remove the directory - you'll need to redo your preferences, but it
> should work again (you could try renaming .kde to .kde.old or something...
>
> If you can't log in with KDE with any user, then KDE itself is broken, try
> refreshing the KDE packages and re-applying any updates.

Could it be that the OP has upgraded some packages before this happen? If so,
which one/s? The problem (S)he quoted
(http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:Most_Annoying_Bugs ) comes from a very fragile
and recent release:

[opensuse-announce] SUSE Linux 10.1 Beta4 seeks adventurous experts and their
*test* systems

http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-announce/2006-Feb/0007.html