Re: "If you build it, they will come"

__/ [ Colin Day ] on Friday 24 February 2006 23:23 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> I keep wondering what happens <strike>if</strike> when Linux becomes far
>> more popular and therefore "less unique". If Linux winds up occupying 30%
>> of the desktop/laptop pie within 3 years, people will pause and say to
>> themselves: "Now, hold on a second. Which one is truly better and which
>> one is truly an evil monopoly? Whose principles and idealogy should I
>> embrace? Open Source
>
> How can Linux be an evil monopoly (or a good monopoly)? Linux is a product,
> not a company. Novell/SUSE or Red Hat could become evil monopolies, but
> that's a different matter.
>
> Colin Day

What bothers me to some extent is Dell's offering of Linux workstations.
Sure, I think it helps Linux, but on the other hand, what if Dell made big
bucks off Linux at the expense of Novell and Red Hat, let alone mom-and-pop
Linux stores? This makes the whole "Microsoft Linux" nightmare return to
life. Apple have done something similar when choosing Darwin, have they not?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:00am  up 7 days 15:19,  9 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.54, 0.46