Re: Microsoft to Fight Korean Antitrust

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 24 February 2006 23:22 \__

> On Friday 24 February 2006 23:09 Sinister Midget wrote:

It always makes me humoured and enraged at the same time when Microsoft raise
their voice over such obvious abuses of their monopoly status.

>>> Steady on now!
>>> The Korean attitude is softening, and this is clearly going MS's way now
>>> - I guess you missed this bit:-
>>>
>>> "In Friday's report, the commission slightly lowered its fine against
>>> Microsoft to $33.6 million from the preliminary figure announced in
>>> December of $34 million"

That debatement might help covering the annual expenses on Mr. Ballmer's
banana supplies.

>>> Gee - MS doesn't know when it's lucky - the E.U. is threatening to
>>> *increase* the fine that *it* imposed!
>>
>> Clearly the monopolists are mad and think the fine should doubled.
>
> Heh:-)
> This "two nations separated by a common language" has some truth, you know!
> Did you mean "mad" as in insane/crazy (which is how I read it) or mad as in
> annoyed, which I presume would be the first American "take", or both - or
> doesn't it matter?:-)

I think a key issue here is _precedence_. Microsoft fear similar fines or
forced component-stripping elsewhere in the world. Imagine the impact of
having Windows getting delivered /without/ Internet Explorer (just the file
manager). Would people bother to download Opera and Firefox? Would they do
some research among friends and peers before choosing the Web browser?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?
  4:10am  up 7 days 16:29,  9 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.44, 0.47