Re: $100 Linux Laptop: 150 Million Units per Year

__/ [ Ian Hilliard ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 12:12 \__

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:12:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> "Professor Negroponte predicts there could be 100 million to 150 million
>> shipped every year by 2007."
>>
>> Could this be realistic?
>
> If this things works at all well and has or can have WLAN, I can see a big
> use for these things in the west, where people working out in the field
> are currently always having problems with their notebooks failing or
> running out of power.

The cost of the laptop, as well as its durability, could bring laptops (or
more broadly -- computers) to as-yet inconceivable places. I wonder what
Microsoft's brand-new, yet-unannounced Origami is intending to do on that
matter...

> Running out of power is my biggest problem, because I do a lot of long
> flights. The company is too tight to send me business class, so I have no
> power supply. My two batteries are never enough to make it LON/SIN. Being
> able to recharge with a crank handle would be brilliant.

I gave up on my laptop and I now use the PDA in flights and airports (among
other places). Get a decent foldable keyboard and you are good to go within
10 seconds. Boarding requires you to put away electronics? No problem. Just
set the keyboard and PDA aside. A PDA can be pulled out of the pocket and be
ready to digest data within milliseconds.

> People out in the field are always dropping their laptops. If they are as
> tough as hoped, this will be a whole new world of computing.

I have seen some tough laptops that are intended to absorb merely any hit,
fall, and temperature. These were extremely expensive though and were
difficult to handle.

Best wishes,b

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
  3:10pm  up 8 days  3:29,  9 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.78, 0.51