Re: invisible gif and PR

__/ [ T.J. ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 18:21 \__

>> __/ [ David Dorward ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 11:29 \__

>> Yes. Any invisible element is perceived as a sin -- either keyword
>> stuffing
>> or hidden links. Text is easiest to detect based on colour values, from
>> which contrast can be inferred.
>>
>> Google have algorithm for detecting this. Hidden image-based links can one
>> day be discovered and reported by your competitor(s).
>>

>>> Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of
>>> thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable explaining what you've done to a
>>> website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask, "Does this
>>> help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"
>>

>> *smile* Yes, that's the way I often explain this. Detraction and
>> distractions
>> as opposed to contribution.
>>

> I had an idea for a game last year where you have a hidden 4 x 4
> image on a page that links through to another page, and
> then from that page another image to another page and so on.
>
> I set about 10 pages up on different sites but never got around
> to finishing it. :o(
>
> What I did notice is all the pages got picked up by Google
> via the images but they don't appear to have been crawled a 2nd time
>
> It almost looks as though Google was aware that a hidden image was
> used to create the link.
>
> Example here     www . spotthedot.co.uk
> The start page is cached from Feb 16th, but if you follow
> the trail you will see all the other pages have a cache from
> the first week in August.
>
> I ought to get around to finishing it one day, but is there a
> possibility the sites could get penalised for something like this?

Yes. You are putting your site(s) in jeopardy, but it would be very difficult
to detect this. One could do a backlink search and notice one your site
links for SEO purpose, not for users (like a 1x1-pixels slot in the
million-dollar homepage). I can find a relevant link...

The nearest match I could find is this:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-mistakes-nearly-hidden-text/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
 12:55am  up 8 days 13:14,  9 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.58, 1.84