Re: SSH timing out

  • Subject: Re: SSH timing out
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:12:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.linux
__/ [ Aaron Gray ] on Saturday 25 February 2006 18:42 \__

>>> We have two remote servers both RedHat 9. One times out on SSH the other
>>> does not.

My initial, instinctive gut feeling: firewall. I have been down that route
before. Check firewall policies and attempt to temporarily disable it.

>>> How do I stop the one timing out from doing so ?
>>
>> It's difficult to say, but could look at your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and
>> enable TCPKeepAlive on the server,
>>
>> TCPKeepAlive yes
>
> It does not appear to be in '/etc/ssh/sshd_config' as this is the same on
> both systems.
>
> sshd_config config file has a KeepAlive but no TCPKeepAlive, so I tried
> both, neither works.

I wouldn't have thought that descending to that level was necessary.

>> If the problem would be client side, then look at the /etc/ssh/ssh_config,
>> there you find ConnectTimeout, setting this to 0 should prevent client
>> side disconects
>>
>> ConnectTimeout 0
>>

>> But there can still be other problems like a bed gateway in between, which
>> can cause the connection to break, but thats not so common.
>
> Yes it could possibly be the firewall router box on that server ?

If the firewall is controlled by an intermediatery box, try some simpler SSH
tests that go in different routes. Try other remote connections like telnet
if necessary, even ping just to ensure nothing more fundamental is
preventing a connection.