Re: suse 9.3, gimp printing, HPLIP

__/ [ Rick ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 17:39 \__

> After using CUPS to delete the printer installed when I installed Suse 9.3
> I have used CUPS (cups-1.1.23-7.2) to install an HP Deskjet 5740 printer
> using hplip-0.9.4-0.1 and hplip-hpijs-0.9.4-0.1.  The printer is using
> the HP Deskjet 5740 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) driver
>
> When I try to print from GIMP, it does not print the graphic, it prints
> text (%!PS-Adobe %%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2 for Gimp-Print 4.2.7 ...).
>
> I had installed Suse 9.3 previously and was able to print using GIMP, but
> I let Suse set up the printer on the install.
>
> I can print the printer test page, and from other apps.
>
> Can anyone give me pointers on getting GIMP to print properly?
>
> Any and all help appreciated.

It seems likely that a certain plug-ins clings onto your GIMP installation.
This plug-ins appears to attempt sending of PostScript to the printer as
means of saving precious bandwidth. This is not what you are after because
no vector graphics are involved. I suggest you have a look at the plug-in in
question and attempt to uninstall it. Otherwise, consider uninstalling and
re-installing the GIMP so that it runs without any plug-ins which have been
bound to the SuSE distribution.

http://gimp.org/unix/

Hope it provides some useful information despite my lack of confidence about
this...