Re: removing a laptop cover

__/ [ loon@xxxxxxx ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 13:16 \__

> Hi Could anyone tell me how I get the back off an advent  laptop, my
> power  conneciton inside the laptop has come loose. I undid all the
> screws on the base but the cover is still stuck on tight. are there
> any clips i need to look for or does it require a bit of force to
> prise the covers apart ? TIA  for any replies.

I don't know the Advent, but I have opened my laptop many times before, my
PDA too. If the laptop has not been opened before, it is possible that it
has a light layer of glue that requires force to get it loose. I don't know
if this is intended to protect users from themselves, protect the laptop
from water or maybe serve as a 'chastity belt'. Just make sure you have
searched every little corner of the laptop for yet another screw as to avoid
screwing up the cover.

There are two point to look out for: the order in which you expose the
laptop, opening it one part at a time. The second: look for mechanisms that
are 'pressable'. There are sometimes locking mechanisms that require two
hands and a screwdriver (or the likes of that). Don't forget to search the
Web for prior advice on this matter, if you have not done so already.

Happy digging,