Re: COMPAQ Presario 919EA: CPU-Cooler runs constantly. How to change mode?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Dennis Pogson ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 18:10 \__
>
>> FVA wrote:
>>> Hallo,
>>> I'm using a Notebook COMPAQ Presario 919EA (OS: Windows XP).
>>>
>>> Usually the CPU-Cooler only runs for a short time. But after I
>>> 'cleaned' the Windows registry the cooler now runs _constantly_
>>> (which bothers me in the long run).
>

> It sounds as though you tinkered with the process that sends the
> signal to the motherboard. If you cannot revert it to the older
> state, I don't believe that BIOS would have any serious effect. It
> sounds like a 'getaway answer' if you ask me.
>

>>> I asked HP Support:
>>> They recommended to install the latest BIOS udate for the
>>> Presario 919EA (Phoenix 0F0B, 11 / 25 / 2003, SMBIOS-Version 2.3).
>>> I did, but this hasn't fixed the problem: The CPU-Cooler still
>>> buzzes all the time.
>>> BTW: The ventilation slots of my notebook are clean.
>

> I have a Presario as well and I can recall that at one time (over a
> year ago) the fan began to misbehave, which was a nuisance. Whether
> it was due to CPU load or an improperly-set Registry, I don't know.
> There was definitely some rogue process involved. It happened after I
> had installed some Sony digital camera software, which seriously
> damaged the Registry. So, I assume a process /could/ be running,
> which motivates this behaviour.
>

>>> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>>> How can I change my CPU-Cooler into the old 'periodic' cooling-mode?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Ferdinand (Hamburg, Germany)
>>
>> You could try downloading SpeedFan software from
>>
>> www.computeractive.co.uk/2149628 and installing.
>

> That sounds like an excellent solution. On the other hand, if the fan
> is operated in accordance with heat sensors, limiting the ventilation
> might be slightly dangerous. It could lead to melting, so it's worth
> monitoring the system and find out what is going on...
>
> Best wishes and good luck,
>
> Roy
>
> PS - Dennis, no intent to step on your toes there. I just wanted to
> add more possibilities to consider.

No offence Roy, I like your idea of doing a System Restore, if that is what
you meant, but would this restore the registry, or would you have to simply
revert to the old registry? I believe the  Microsoft site explains how to do
this.