Re: laptop cd/dvd drive failing

  • Subject: Re: laptop cd/dvd drive failing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:43:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [ Marcus Houlden ] on Monday 27 February 2006 19:07 \__

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:10:52 +0000 (UTC), C <c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
>
>> Hi all
>>

>> my two year old fujitsi siemens amilo D  laptop cd/dvd drive is failing
>> (read and writing troubles) and a cannot find any useful info on the
>> fujitsu siemens site about repairs or replacements
>
> First things first, have you tried a cleaning CD? Might be cheaper than
> having to replace the drive if it's just dirty.
>
> mh.

Good point. When my laptop was 5 or so years of age, its CD-ROM drive seems
to have stopped reading CD's. Quick cleansing of the lens with cotton buds
did the trick.

However, judging by the description from the OP, the problem at hand is
different. Dirty drives fail to recognise the CD altogether, as oppose to
(imaginably sporadic) "read and writing troubles". It's worth giving it a
shot though, rather than give up prematurely.

Hope it helps,