Re: 'Google Earth' For Linux

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Monday 27 February 2006 19:44 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Well, more of a clone actually...
>>
>> * Cross-platform, so includes Linux
>> * Data provided by the US Government, so expect no intrusive adverts in
>> the future
>> * Never heard of WinE running Google Earth successfully, so maybe they
>> have beat Google to it!
>>
>> http://ww2d.csoft.net/index.php?title=Introduction
>>
>> based on:
>>
>> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
>>
>> Screenshots here:
>>
>> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/screenshots.html
>

> ---> 'Google Earth' For Linux - Well, more of a clone actually...
>
> Which is actually disappointing in a way. Not the clone (software) but
> Google in that Google has made Billion$ of dollars running their search
> engine on Linux but it appears that Google has given little back to OSS
> in return. 'Google Earth' is an example.

I said "maybe they have beat Google to it" because Google are porting their
desktop applications to Linux. They have formed a team to work on this and
they heavily base the ports on WinE. Once the first port is complete,
expertise and re-use will make the other ports a breeze.

Yet, will it possibly be too late? There's competition all over the place.
Google may have snatched the Gaim lead developr, but Linux users do not rely
on Google for their IM needs.

Google have promised Linux ports for quite some time, so just be patient.
Picassa for Linux will be ready soon and it's only the start.

Look at the screenshots on the right:

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Windows decorations are cropped out and it is no coincidence.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:50pm  up  16:01,  10 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.83, 0.72