Is Dell Embarrassed About Linux?

Apparently not, but...

<quote>
Didn't Michael Dell himself invest almost a $100 million in Red Hat? Why,
yes, yes he did.

Doesn't Dell already have partnerships in place with Red Hat? And Novell?
Yes.

Didn't Dell agree to let Mandriva SA sell the Latitude 110L laptop with its
Linux preinstalled in France? Yes, again.

Doesn't Dell have a Linux community site to help Dell owners use Linux? Yep.

So why did Dell refuse -- no matter how we tried to word the question -- to
admit that they really had moved a bit further toward offering Linux on the
desktop?

Or, better still, why doesn't Dell just start offering one Linux distribution
as an option on their complete desktop line?

The reason is that, when push comes to shove, "Dell recommends the use of
Windows XP Professional" on its desktops.

So I, for one, think that the real reason Dell keeps the Linux desktop at
arm's reach is that it doesn't want to tick off Microsoft.
</quote>