Re: Linux Adoption Barriers

In article <du0isa$2gqi$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > What he's missed is that one person's unnecessary feature is another
> > person's indispensable feature.
>
> Give an example. The majority of users out there use Word, but not much
> beyond this. Name a feature that an average user relies on in Word and will
> not have in OpenOffice 2 Writer.

My point is that there isn't any such feature that will apply to the
average user.  People are different.

For example, what I find better about Word than any other word processor
I've seen is the handling of outlines.  For me, that's an important
feature, because the hard part of writing the documents I write is
coming up with the structure of the document.  My formatting needs are
simple, so I don't need any of Word's (or OpenOffice's) fancy formatting
features.

For someone else, it will likely be something different.

If you want to be an average user, any word processor will do.

--
--Tim Smith