Re: More on AOL/Yahoo email fees

__/ [ MGW ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 13:32 \__

> NY Times
> February 28, 2006
> Plan for Fees on Some E-Mail Spurs Protest
> By SAUL HANSELL
>
> A group of nonprofit and public interest groups is beginning a
> campaign today to protest plans by America Online and Yahoo, which
> each offer e-mail services, to charge high-volume senders of e-mail
> fees to guarantee preferred delivery of their messages.

So mailing lists owners are /not/ people?

> AOL and Yahoo are working with Goodmail, a Silicon Valley company,
> which plans to charge between a quarter-cent and a cent for each
> message. The two Internet companies will get the bulk of the fees that
> Goodmail collects.

If this move is intended to stop spam, these folks have poor understanding of
where spam gets despatched from. Hijacked machines are spread all over the
world. People who know how to exploit Windows vulnerabilities will just seek
other networks for zombies.

> Richard Gingras, chief executive of Goodmail, said the company planned
> to offer unspecified discounts to nonprofit senders of e-mail. AOL
> will start using the Goodmail system within a month. Yahoo will begin
> testing the service several months later and will charge fees only to
> deliver messages related to purchases or financial transactions.

How *cough* kind of AOL and Yahoo.

> The campaign is being organized by MoveOn.org, a liberal advocacy
> group that uses its list of three million e-mail addresses to
> influence public opinion and raise money, and the Electronic Frontier
> Foundation, an Internet civil liberties group. They have enlisted
> about 50 other supporters including the Gun Owners of America, the
> Democratic National Committee and the National Humane Society.

"Gun Owners of America"? This gets more ludicrous by the minute. "Send spam
and be shot"!

> The groups have set up a Web site (www.dearaol.com) which will have an
> online petition users can sign asking AOL to change its policy.
>
> Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/technology/28mail.html
> (NY Times subscription required)

I think that much of the population will not give a toss about this
initiative. The move comes to show that the Internet as we once knew it is
dying.