Re: Burning MP3s on Linux (KDE) is SIMPLE!

__/ [Peter Jensen] on Monday 02 January 2006 11:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you mean "burning" and not "ripping".
>
> Looks like it.
>
>> grip is just about as simple and it usually comes pre-installed. It is
>> also a decent MP3 player and a brute-force versatile beast!
>
> I used to use grip, but in the end I found it much simpler to just open
> up 'audiocd:/' in Konqueror (or, I think, *any* KDE application) and
> copy the mp3 or ogg files from the virtual file system it creates
> (complete with CDDB filenames).  The actual ripping is automatically
> done as part of the copying process.

The  last  time I used grip was 2 years ago and it was KDE 3.1. I  am  not
sure  this  functionality was supported at the time, but indeed it  sounds
fascinating. The part about CDDB filenames impresses me very much. If it's
really  that  simple, maybe I should digitise all my CD's. Sounds  like  a
put-in-tray,  drag-and-drop, put-back-on-shelf job. Even a 5-year-old  son
or daughter(*) could take care of that. And they say Linux is hard...

Roy

(*) Do not try this at home, but if you do, do not log in as 'root'.