Re: Webalizer's Handlign of Feeds

__/ [John Bokma] on Thursday 05 January 2006 07:17 \__

>> I sometimes use a fairly recent version of Webalizer (now that I
>> check, it *is* the most recent version) to analyse logs. I suspect
>> that visit counts in Webalizer differ widely from the figures reported
>> by AWStats due to handling of requests for feeds. Has anybody noticed
>> the same behaviour? It's as though the definition of a "visit", let
>> alone detection of crawlers, makes the term very subjective. What is
>> it that people consider a visit if one tool reports numbers twice as
>> big as the other's.
>
> AFAIK you can configure what webalizer considers a visit. IIRC it is "the
> IP address has to be unique for x minutes". (And IIRC x = 15, default)

I don't think I can tune it. Only administrators can, unless I am totally
wrong to assume complexity. I never saw a Webalizer back-end even though I
have used it since 2001. It used to be the only thing I thought existed.

If so, that still doesn't make "visits" any measure which is objective. I
guess that statistics should either come with some fine prints or taken with
a grain of salt.

Thanks John.