Re: Google PC At Walmart

__/ [The Ghost In The Machine] on Thursday 05 January 2006 17:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> on Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:42:54 +0000
> <pan.2006.01.04.09.42.46.317909@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 05:44:59 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [The Ghost In The Machine] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 18:00 \__

>> It's a pity they don't do more to support Linux users, but it's really no
>> surprise they're catering mainly to Windows users, since Windows is most
>> widespread. After all, they're not in business to please us.
>
> Very true.
>
> In any event, they already have http://code.google.com , though
> that might be only their own APIs.

Yes, exactly. I browsed that subsite at some decent level of depth before.
There's no code, just API's that link the developer's site to a tool from
Google. All is of course attributed to Google and serves them, traffic-wise.
Open Source embraces a different ideaology altogether.

> The profit margins for hardware are terrible.

It's not about the hardware, but what actually comes pre-installed (bundled)
with the hardware. That is the reason Microsoft tolerate the losses on the
Xbox 360 gear.

>>> I, for one, welcome their invasion. Google hardware can eradicate
>>> the need to cater for a (formerly) widespread platform. They will
>>> have to be kind to their origins too.
>>
>> This is certainly a more promising development.
>>

> I'm not so sure.  If Linux becomes the widespread platform, what's
> to prevent Google from attempting shutouts of FreeBSD and
> more traditional Unix platforms?
>
> I would hope that they are kind but wouldn't mind some extra
> assurance, if that's possible.

I can trust Page and Brin, but I don't think the others care much for the
roots. Many of their employees (big majority among non-engineers) are
probably running Windows at work, but what can tell...?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
  5:45pm  up 26 days  0:56,  12 users,  load average: 2.07, 1.00, 0.72