Re: Linux newbies get a helping hand

__/ [Roy Culley] on Friday 06 January 2006 03:11 \__

<http://news.com.com/Linux+newbies+get+a+helping+hand/2100-7344_3-6019925.html>

>     A quiz that helps decide which version of Linux to install on a
>     desktop has attracted thousands of daily hits even though it's
>     still in beta testing, according to quiz-creator Zegenie Studios.
>
> Here's the link to the 'quiz':
>
> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?select_lang=true
>
> FWIW it selected Gentoo and Slackware for me although a couple of the
> questions made that conclusion pretty obvious.

This is an excellent tool, but I can't say I'm pleased with the results. If
you aim for justification of your current choice(s), you could probably fool
the quiz (or yourself rather) and select the options which reflect on the
current distro(s) rather than wishful features that conflict with what is at
hand.

The site recommended Mandriva to me even though I had Mandrake installed in
the past, but was dissatisfied with it. Because it's interactive and
self-tailored, it probably provides an appealing alternative to Distro
Watch. It would be interesting to discover what others thought of the quiz
outcomes.