Re: kernel panic, i panic not

__/ [philo] on Friday 06 January 2006 13:05 \__

> my main machine uses FC3
> and it's been running flawlessly ever since it had RH9 on it.
> recently moved the drive to a newer machine...
> and it reconfigured itself durning bootup...
> and within a few seconds all was running fine ...
> until today as bootup : kernel panic!
>
> did i panic ?
>
> NO   (well yes, but just for a second)
>
> as i saw the exact error message : ide not syncing
>

> oh yes...once in a while the removable drive needs to be removed
> and then *slammed* back in place.
>
> reboot, fsck with no problems and the panic is gone
>
> it's good when linux tells you the *exact* problem

You're telling me.... *smile*

Only 5 minutes ago I helped someone get wireless working under Windows XP.
It  took  nearly 10 minutes. Why? Because goddamn Windows refuses  to  say
something  as simple as 'incompatible IP address'. No verbosity is accept-
able  to Windows. Instead, it will show animated icons which indicate that
all  is fine and dandy. Try to authenticate? Nothing. After some ping com-
mands  and  a whole load of tests it became apparent that addressees  were
hardcoded.  Now,  why can't Windows ever talk? It has got a mouth, has  it
not?  Trying to defend the users from jargon is no excuse of the automatic
gear so often fails to function.

I  like the subject line, by the way: kernel panic, I panic not. I'll  try
to  remember  that. It can be generalised to argue in defence of the  com-
mand-line.

Roy

PS  -  an academic couple came to the office half an hour ago. They had  a
Dell  laptop that ran Windows 98 (Pentium 3 and took 3-4 minutes to boot).
They  left  the office with an installation CD and a Live CD of Ubuntu  in
their hands. Oh, and I also fixed their connection problem, yet didn't ne-
glect to blame Windows.