Re: Blog software that supports PDF attachments??

  • Subject: Re: Blog software that supports PDF attachments??
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:58:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [tomviolin] on Saturday 07 January 2006 05:45 \__

> I have a client who has a relatively simple need.  He wants to have a
> straightforward blog for his organization so he can post news and
> announcements.  The one twist is that he very often needs to post PDFs
> attached to his entries.
>
> Currently he sends these announcements to an e-mail list and of course
> simply attaches the PDFs to the e-mail.
>
> I have yet to come across a blogging software package that supports
> this.  Images yes, PDFs (or other arbitrary attachments) no.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> This guy is not exactly a computer whiz, but he can obviously handle
> PDFs and e-mail, so I really think that if I could find a simple enough
> blogging package that handles attachments, he could run with it.  The
> best possible scenario would be a blogging software that could simply
> accept the e-mails he already sends out and just posts them as entries
> as-is, complete with the PDF attachments.  But I'm probably dreaming
> here.

WordPress  2.0,  which came out on the 26th of December, can handle  arbi-
trary  enclosures of any filetype, provided that the host permits  'suspi-
cious' files to be uploaded. You must also ensure that the server does not
run in 'Safe Mode'. Uploads are made transparent through PHP and a monthly
directory  gets built by the CMS, which requires appropriate privileges to
be accommodated.

Be  aware that WordPress 2.0 is rather reliable, but not as predictable as
version  1.5.2, which I believe has support for enclosures too.  WordPress
2.0  simplifies  user  interaction tremendously. No need to FTP. It  is  a
drag-and-drop  widget  with some nice JavaScript-rich progress  bar.  Any-
hoo...

http://wordpress.org

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:50pm  up 28 days  3:01,  13 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.48, 0.53