Re: Linux fun things

__/ [Kelsey Bjarnason] on Sunday 08 January 2006 07:08 \__

> Was over at a buddy's place last night.  He's built not one, but two MythTV
> boxes.  THe first lives in the living room, and has a custom sensor for the
> remote control, so he can do everything he needs just like a VCR.  The
> other lives in the basement, and has 5 SCSI drives in it, as a store point
> for video.  It also has two tuner cards in it, for a total of three
> simultaneous capture streams.
>
> Net result: he can record three streams and play one, all under manual or
> scheduled control, and record something like 400 hours of high-quality
> streams - and all without leaving his easy chair.
>
> Who said Linux was hard to use?  :)

Also to see: http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8124627492.html

  "I love Linux. I use it on my servers, I use it on my desktops, and I use
  it on my entertainment center, where it powers my HDTV TiVo and my D-Link
  DSM-320 media player, which turns my network into a media library with
  terabytes of storage. Heck, I even run Linux on my Linksys WRT54G Wi-Fi
  access points, which hook the whole shebang together."

Sorry to infiltrate this thread, but you inspired me to try something new. I
have just (5 minutes ago!) finished writing and testing another little
script that displays kpager on-line and refreshes it every 10 minutes.

http://www.schestowitz.com/introduction.htm (see Pager at the bottom)

I dare Windows user to try and achieve the same thing with just a few lines
of code. ImageMagick does almost the entire thing and cron jobs take care of
the rest. It's a nice useful toy for remote monitoring. 'top' is included
and is public. *smile*