Re: Great Success for the Nokia 770 Linux-based Internet Tablet

__/ [Linønut] on Sunday 08 January 2006 14:47 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/05/electric_nokia770/index%2Ehtml
>>
>> Nokia finally have a development toolkit, which will sooner or later have
>> all the stuff in Freshmeat ported to run in one's pocket. I guess that
>> USB-based portable applications/O/S will see some competition.
>>
>> http://portableapps.com/
>
> The most recent Linux Journal has an article about the Nokia 770.
>
> It looks great for doing programming while sitting in boring meetings.

Think of it as a Linux distro which bound to a folding keyboard and a 800
pixel-wide screen. All fits right into your pocket; quite discreet too.
There are milestone ahead, however:

  *Peripherals needs be be designed manufactured by various vendors. The
  article above states facts that will give incentive for involvement among
  industry leaders (like Sony in the case of Palm)

  *Better development tools should cater for porting of existing application.
  This will happen in due time. Personal Information Management (PIM) is
  still urgently needed, but in principle, given all that Open Source and
  Linux fanatics that purchase (or at least order) the device, it is only a
  matter of time before you can play Quake 3 on that little toy. Also to look
  forward to: minimalist version of OpenOffice, various Open Source browsers,
  OpenSSH with X forwarding (use your desktop computer while at the
  meeting)...

You name the application, all that is needed are ports that honour the specs.
Linux has pentrated the world of pocket computing (no, not that miserable
Zaurus from Sharp) and it apparently comes from nowhere other than Finland,
home of Linus. I look forward in great anticipation. The device is not
expensive and many applications will be free as in beer.