Re: [OT] Desktop wallpapers

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:55:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [Kier] on Sunday 08 January 2006 15:42 \__
>
>> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:34:22 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [Kier] on Sunday 08 January 2006 15:05 \__

>>> What about gnome-look.org and kde-look.org? Not only are there plenty of
>>> good ones, but they are also very liberal in the sense that you are
>>> (perhaps) encouraged to disseminate. Many of them are also related to an
>>> Open Source theme or strand. What's more, you give the LXer contributers a
>>> sense of contribution and become a more integral part of a community that
>>> expands.
>>
>> Definitely good sites if you want your desktop to have an open source
>> look. I've had wallpapers from theme on my desktop from time to time. I
>> tend to change my backgrounds very few months, according to my moods and
>> interests.
>
> Here  is my personal perspective, which keeps changing, but stabilised af-
> ter 2 years:
>
> Are you using KDE? You can set up a cycle (multiple pictures, now known as
> "slideshow"), wherein desktop pictures change autonomously, either at ran-
> dom  or  in  order. You toss whichever pictures take your fancy  onto  the
> pool, which can serve you for many months.

At the moment I'm using Gnome, though I was a long-time KDE user. One day
i just decided to try Gnome again, and so far I haven't had a strong urge
to switch back.

> To me, this makes the difference between a dreary environment and an envi-
> ronment  which attracts the eye and encourages me to be dynamic, much like
> the environment. Desktop 1 has its background changed every 2 minutes. The
> other  virtual  desktops  (8 of them in total, over  20,000  pixels  wide)
> change  every 60 minutes. Each desktop has a different theme or 'feel'  to
> it, so I can 'escape' at will. There are also some neat options for chang-
> ing pictures colours without changing the physical files.

I've never really gone for random wallpaper changes, myself. But that's
just me. Saying that, I may give it a try when I'm next in KDE.

--
Kier